Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sleeping on French Toast.

Less than a week until my birthday!  :-)  I'm pretty excited.  I love my birthday month, week, day, etc.  I'm not entirely sure why, but I still get that giddy little-kid feeling about it.  Despite the fact that I just keep getting older... hey, it happens.   

I changed the title of my blog (in case you didn't notice).  I thought "My Ramblings" was kinda boring so I didn't think you would mind.  Who's out there reading my blog anyway?  I see 7 followers... are you being stealthy in your reading?  I don't mind, but I would like to know what you think about some of the recipes (or if you have recipes I should try!).  Just don't be greedy with your delicious recipes.  :-)

See, the start of my cooking adventure was threefold:
1.  It's cheaper than eating out (most of the time).
2.  It's healthier.  You actually know what's going into your body because you made it!
3.  I've always wanted to learn how. 

So, if you have a delicious recipe that you're not sharing, that's just harsh.  Send it my way so I can try it!  :-) 

I found two recipes that I tried this weekend... the first involved acorn squash.  I didn't realize they looked like little pumpkins.  Or had seeds like pumpkins.  Apparently I haven't had enough pumpkin fun yet this year.  Oh wait. 


Basically, you chop an acorn squash in half and roast it.  It looked pretty in the pan!


Roasted Acorn Squash with Orange-Ginger Dressing
So, that's what it looked like all decorated on my plate.  The orange-ginger dressing smelled awesome and I was pretty pumped to give it a try.  I do have to tell you that neither Jimmy or I thought it was all that great.  I think we are just not big fans of acorn squash.  It tasted okay.  We also added a lot more brown sugar than you're probably supposed to add... and we may have ditched the effort of eating it about halfway through.  Oh well, not everything can be our favorite.

If you are a big proponent of acorn squash, then you might love it!  Try it and let me know what you think. 

Here's what I made this morning for breakfast.  This was really tasty.  :-)

Baked French Toast
First time I've ever made French toast in my life.  Yep, really.  Mmm... can't find the recipe to link it, so here's the gist of what I did:

Combine in a bowl
2 large eggs (or egg substitute)
1/2 c. skim milk
2 t. powdered sugar
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1/4 t. ground cinnamon

Dip 4 pieces of bread (I used whole wheat) into the mixture to soak it up and then put them on a baking sheet.  Spray or "sprinkle" with butter (about 1 T.).  Bake at 425 for 8-10 minutes (my oven is quick, so I only did 7). 

Enjoy!  :-)

I'd say it was a complete success.  I've definitely been sleeping on French toast, though.  Who knew it was that good?

Until next time... Happy Cooking!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...