Saturday, February 5, 2011

Leeks make you cry?

Okay, so I know that onions make you cry.  That means that shallots make you cry.  Scallions make you cry.  Leeks, too?  I wasn't expecting that... though I guess I should have been.  I'm not sure why it's called "crying" either because I have yet to actually shed tears.  Instead, it just feels like burning.  Darn those sulfoxides!  Here's a list of others that may make YOU cry.  Interesting.

I seriously wasn't sure how to chop a leek, so I youtubed it and here are some pictures of my pretty, pretty leeks: 


                     
                                                                    Leeks smell good!



  

I used my leeks in some soup.  Yay soup!  This could easily be vegetarian if you use veggie broth instead of chicken.  It was interesting to make because I had to puree it halfway through and I was wishing I had a nice immersion blender.  Maybe someday...



Creamy Mushroom Soup (WW recipe)

I have to say that I think there may be almost as many leeks in this soup as mushrooms... it smells amazing and tastes pretty good!  Not too shabby.  :-)

Okay, just found out about onion goggles.  Fabulous invention.  I need some!

2 comments:

  1. It is true, they do make your eyes burn! I was making some soup for my baby boy and I added some vegetables and some leek just to add flavor and I found out they do burn just like onions!! I'm kinda new on this new cooking thing but I guess you must start at some point eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely... that's what my blog is all about. I'm definitely learning as I go! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...